Skull & Shackles
Many of the following rules are common sense, and may
be enforced on pirate, military, and merchant vessels.
• Any sailor caught below deck with open flame, magical
or mundane, will suffer 10 lashes. All candles and
lanterns are to be extinguished at sunset.
• No sailor is to play cards or dice for money while onboard,
nor use such things to take advantage of her
crewmates on shore.
• No sailor is to bring aboard a husband, wife,
child, person of ill virtue, or any passenger
unbeknownst to the captain. Both sailor
and passenger face marooning.
• Every sailor must do her fair share of
work, and neither shirk her duty nor pass
off work to another, lest she face 20 lashes.
A ship’s bard may rest 1 day per week, but
must stand ready to entertain on all others.
• Every sailor receives an equal share of food
and drink, and 1 ration of liquor every day.
• Any sailor found drunk on duty shall face
10 lashes. Any sailor too drunk to function
effectively during battle shall be killed.
• A sailor who suspects a hazard, be it storm
cloud, sea monster, or enemy ship, must
raise the alarm immediately. Any sailor
who sees an unfamiliar sea creature must
inform the captain immediately.
• A sailor shall not speak to any creature of the
sea without the captain’s permission.
• A sailor must not speak ill of the
dead lest they summon restless
spirits to the ship.